Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Little fingers

It is amazing to me the amount of uncomplicated trust a small child has in the ones around him/her.

My 18 month old neice shows me this everyday with her pudgy little hands.

Each morning we go for a walk together and Samantha confidently waddles along the road in front of me chattering away about dogs, cats, and cars that cross our path. She is proudly independent, happy to set the course for our walk, but whenever there comes a large pot hole or a patch of uneven ground that her tiny feet cant navigate, she simply raises her arm for me, trusting that i will take her hand.

She does not look up to see if I am available. She does not wonder if it is any inconvenience to me or if i will be willing to help her over these bumps. She does not look anywhere but the path before her. Her chubby little fingers rise above her head knowing i will be there. And as I take her up on her offer of trust - taking her little hand - there is a moment of wonder and joy that floods over me, knowing that it is me she has chosen to trust.

2 comments:

Pagan Rach said...

I've tagged you in a green meme :)
http://paganrach.blogspot.com/2008/12/green-memes-1-and-2.html

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Beautiful entry.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading how you celebrate Learn Nothing day next year.