Monday, September 07, 2009

How Im making my soup

I have discovered a delicious way of making soup. (Well after 4 weeks of eating it you would imagine that I would stumble upon some sort of discovery!!)

Basically I start with making a huge batch of bone broth from 10 litres of water, 2 full beef necks and 2 marrow bones cut length and cross ways.

I simmer that for about 24 hours and then pick off the meat and scoop out the marrow. I add the marrow back to the broth and reserve the meat. The dogs get the bones (which they leave scattered all over my lawn!!).

I then freeze the broth in batches.

I then get some more meat - lamb chump chops are my favourite, but I also use chicken thighs, lamb bones with a lot of meat still on, beef chops etc.

I saute an onion and some garlic and the meat and water to just cover the meat. Simmer for 3-4 hours until soft. Remove any bones and grizzle. The water will have simmered down quite a bit so I add a nice big dose of bone broth. Maybe a cup or three.

Then I add the veges of choice and simmer - ready for eating in about 30 mins.

I sometimes remove the veges and puree and add back to the soup to thicken. Depending on how much meat was on the second lot of bones I might also add meat from the stock making process. The double boiling of meat seems to really enhance the flavour.

I didnt set out to double boil meat, I just found that each batch needed more meat, and often times I was simply adding veges etc to yesterdays batch to make todays soup and I definately needed more meat.

This soup works really well for me.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Thanks so much for sharing your journey Stephanie, I learn lots from reading your blog and have looked into what you are doing, I think it could be a good thing for me as well but I am very definately in the just looking camp at the moment.

Wishing you well on your journey

Louise