Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Today

Today my 16 year old passed the written component of his driving test and got his L Plates.

He has not very keen to learn to drive, primarily because it meant studying the Drivers handbook ad nauseum, and partly because he is quite happy to have me drive him around.

I have not been so enthusiastic about continuing this arrangement and so I have been pushing him for weeks to press on with his devotion to the handbook.

Well today was quite an event. I had no idea if he actually knew his stuff, but he seemed quietly confident so we went and gambled the $26 fee on the chance that he might pass. Once he passed (to all of our amazement!) we had to fork out another $47 to get his license processed. (Highway robbery!)

I offered him the keys as we headed to the car park, but he declined. As always, it will take him a while to build up the courage/enthusiasm/mental space to actually take the next step in his jouney to adulthood.

Baby step. But steps that are so exciting for me to see him taking.

No comments: